Monday, July 6, 2009

classic - JUNKYARD BAND

I was planning on uploading this Junk Yard band photo to share a few weeks ago, held it to the side, then this week I get a call from SPIN magazine who are doing a feature on "top 50 singles" or "most underrated singles of the 80's", or honestly i don't remember at the moment. Either way I thought it was great that the Junk Yard band was getting any press. Anyway, here's a shot from the same day, I don't think this is the one they will be using.

I shot this photo down in their own neighborhood in Washington D.C. back in 1986 or '87 for Def Jam. Rick Rubin asked me if I would go down and do the publicity shots, free trip to DC to see my friends, and I could stay over at Dischord House, so sure I was happy to. Besides the record was really cool (just a 12" single). On top of that Ian said he'd be happy to come along with me ("assist") just to check them out over there and keep me company (actually, I think the photo of Ian sitting on his porch in the front of "Keep Your Eyes Open" was on the same roll of film as this shot). Of course he had seen them playing on the streets of DC, so to check them out on their home grounds where they started he thought would be cool. It was.

check out this track "Sardines"

1 comment:

  1. I remember this song from when I was a kid. The fact that they sang "Sardines! Hey! And pork and beans! Hey!" in their lyrics was hilarious to my family and me, but we loved the song and danced to it every time it came on the radio.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete