Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ricky Gervais: Why I'm an Atheist


Funnyman Ricky Gervais pens a cheery holiday editorial for The Wall Street Journal:
Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer. You started all this. If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.”

This, is of course a spirituality issue, religion is a different matter. As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a god. I don’t think there is a god, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that’s fine with me. It’s when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a god. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral. It’s strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything that happens, would also want to judge and punish people for what they are. From what I can gather, pretty much the worst type of person you can be is an atheist. The first four commandments hammer this point home. There is a god, I’m him, no one else is, you’re not as good and don’t forget it. (Don’t murder anyone, doesn’t get a mention till number 6.)

When confronted with anyone who holds my lack of religious faith in such contempt, I say, “It’s the way God made me.”
Read the whole thing at The Wall Street Journal.

via DangerousMinds

3 comments:

  1. http://www.facebook.com/atheistxmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL SHIT!!!! THE MASSES ARE SHEEP WEAK LOOKING FOR SOMETHING!!! JUST THINK IF THERE WHERE NO GOD AND YOU ACTUALLY HAD TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!! THAT IS THE ILLUMINATI DECEPTION!!!!WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!
    AKS611

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Science adjusts its views
    Based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation
    So that belief can be preserved."

    Tim Minchin "Storm"

    ReplyDelete