Saturday, November 21, 2009

I just saw D-E-V-O !


It's was over THIRTY FUCKIN YEARS AGO that i saw DEVO for the 1st time. They were great then, and pretty fucking cool tonight. My old neighbor and friend Alex Smith asked on his blog some months or weeks back if anyone wanted to join him for this first album on demand type show, I jumped at the chance.

I'm too tired to write much more than it was fun to be there, I'll just quote Alex's blog verbatim as a kind of guest blogger for today: Oh, one other thing i will add that i found a bit curious, was that Devo's stage hand roadie was wearing a Jeff Ho ZEPHYR t-shirt that was clearly visable everytime he would bring out a new guitar or replace a mic... go figure...

So, I caught DEVO again tonight at Irving Pl.... oh, excuse me, The Filmore New York at Irving Plaza. This is about the fifth time I've seen them in as many years (see previous reviews here and here). Tonight was the first of two nights, each devoted to specific albums. This evening's show concentrated on Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo, the band's debut (you can read my breathlessly overwritten praise for that album here). They ran through the album in its entirety, then came back and cranked through "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA," "Gates of Steel" and "Secret Agent Man." They're still old, grey and fat, but they rocked. I'd normally have more to say on the subject, but it's late and I need to get to bed, but I wanted to post this before my friend Glen (who I went with) got his blog post up. Ha! Herewith some photos of dubious quality from tonight's show. Duty now, spuds



As a little bonus i'll include the graphic below that i designed back in 2004 or so, that i actually got permission from Jerry (Casale) of DEVO to make, but i was never able to get it together with an artist to perfect the design, and since then T-Shirt business and me just don't get along too well anyway... But this woulda been a great one don't you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment